What forms do I need to file for custody in Gwinnett County, Ga?

Lawrenceville, GA |

I'm a father living in Florida. My children reside with their mother in Georgia. I will be in Georgia soon. I need to know what forms I will need to submit a custody petition in Gwinnett County Superior Court.

No forms. You need an experienced custody attorney.

I am exclusively a family law attorney, practicing primarily in the metro Atlanta, Georgia trial courts. However, I handle appeals from anywhere in Georgia.

You didn't say whether you were married to the mother at one point or not. If you were not married to the mother, and you have not legitimated the child, you need to file for legitimation and custody. If you were married to the mother, then you will need to file for a modification of custody. Neither of these are a matter of submitting simple forms. These kind of cases involve substantial factual inquiry, production of evidence and perhaps multiple hearings or trial. Aside from that, there are procedural hurdles that many pro se litigants struggle with. I strongly suggest getting an EXPERIENCED family law attorney to help you with this.

Several courts including Fulton, Dekalb and Gwinnett do have some forms online. But be aware that forms are a great way to make sure your case goes VERY badly. Custody cases involve far more than filing forms. Do you know how to do discovery, conduct mediation, present a case to a judge, file motions, understand the rules of evidence etc. Do you even know WHAT kind of case to file in yoyur facts (which you omitted) - legitimization, modification, etc.

Wait until you can afford a lawyer and do this right. Filing pro se is a great way to lose.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Jean O'Neil Supnick

Jean O'Neil Supnick

I couldn't agree with this more.

The only form you need to sign is a check to hire an experienced family law attorney. The custody of your children isn't something you want to try to do on the cheap. Treat it as important as it is.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at www.SteakleyLawFirm.com or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.

Child custody topics