What forms do I need to file for custody in Gwinnett County, Ga?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lawrenceville, GA

I'm a father living in Florida. My children reside with their mother in Georgia. I will be in Georgia soon. I need to know what forms I will need to submit a custody petition in Gwinnett County Superior Court.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Anthony M. Zezima


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . No forms. You need an experienced custody attorney.

    I am exclusively a family law attorney, practicing primarily in the metro Atlanta, Georgia trial courts. However,... more
  2. Jean O'Neil Supnick

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . You didn't say whether you were married to the mother at one point or not. If you were not married to the mother, and you have not legitimated the child, you need to file for legitimation and custody. If you were married to the mother, then you will need to file for a modification of custody. Neither of these are a matter of submitting simple forms. These kind of cases involve substantial factual inquiry, production of evidence and perhaps multiple hearings or trial. Aside from that, there are procedural hurdles that many pro se litigants struggle with. I strongly suggest getting an EXPERIENCED family law attorney to help you with this.

  3. Glen Edward Ashman


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Several courts including Fulton, Dekalb and Gwinnett do have some forms online. But be aware that forms are a great way to make sure your case goes VERY badly. Custody cases involve far more than filing forms. Do you know how to do discovery, conduct mediation, present a case to a judge, file motions, understand the rules of evidence etc. Do you even know WHAT kind of case to file in yoyur facts (which you omitted) - legitimization, modification, etc.

    Wait until you can afford a lawyer and do this right. Filing pro se is a great way to lose.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more
  4. John Arnold Steakley

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . The only form you need to sign is a check to hire an experienced family law attorney. The custody of your children isn't something you want to try to do on the cheap. Treat it as important as it is.

    ↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at www.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,204 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,204 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering