What forms do I need to complete to file for and get divorced in Maryland without using an attorney? What is the filing process?

Asked about 1 year ago - Gaithersburg, MD

Have been separated 4 yrs. but don't have a separation agreement. Divorce will be uncontested. We've already divided property & money; kids are grown. We sold our home before we separated - split the profits - since then have each purchased our own house. Each of us will waive entitlement to the other's retirement money. I started filling out some documents online but they require a lot of financial information (etc) that doesn't seem necessary given our circumstances. Are there basic documents I can use that require minimal information? Can you provide these forms to me for Maryland? Can you explain the filing process?

1. Bennett James Wills

Pro

Answered . You can do it yourself. All of the forms are available at http://www.courts.state.md.us/family/forms/domr... along with guides on how to use them. Start by filling out a complaint and a case information report. Then you'll file in the circuit court in the county where you live. you'll then serve the other party with the complaint, and they can answer etc.

2. Uswah Ayesha Khan

Answered . I don't practice in Maryland, but usually taking a trip to the courthouse and just asking the information desk or the clerk basic questions will get you started. Check if there is a guidebook available to you which will also help you through the process and understand it. Good luck!