What form should I sign so my provider gets paid when my law suit is settled

Asked about 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

pt after a auto accident

1. Tanya Marie Bachand

9

Answered . I'm unclear what you mean by this, but in general, you can have your attorney send a "Letter of Protection" so that the doctor is assured of being paid from the proceeds of the lawsuit

This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  2. David Ian Schoen

Pro

9

Answered . In different states it is referred to differently, but it is essentially a lien letter. Your attorney should be handling that, however. If you don't have an attorney, do NOT sign anything until you get one!

3. Richard Kurt Arbuckle

Pro

7

Answered . Because of a change in Texas law in 2003 designed to make sure you get less in a personal injury case, this is now a very complicated question. If you were hurt enough to need physical therapy (I assume that is what you mean by pt), then you need to get a lawyer. There will be a negotiation with your provider now and after the case is resolved, and you need a lawyer's help to understand what is going on.

4. Gene Raymond Beaty

6

Answered . The document is generally referred to as a "letter of protection", which serves to assure the health care provider of payment for their services when the case settles. There are samples available on some websites.

5. Paul Hilmon Cannon

6

Answered . Your lawyer can issue a letter of protection. Not sure what 'form' you are referring to.

6. Josh P Tolin

6

Answered . Unless TX law requires subrogation, why would you voluntarily pay them back if you don't have to. Please hire an attorney to help you.

7. Michael R Crosner

6

Answered . I agree with the advice of my colleagues - consult a local attorney before signing any documents. Many offer free consultations.

Pro

6

Answered . Letter of protection

9. Alan James Brinkmeier

5

Answered . There is no form

You may have your attorney issue a lien to cover vendors

10. Gregory S. Baumgartner

Pro

3

Answered . In Texas it is known as a " letter of protection" which is usually issued by the personal injury lawyer.

11. Jared Brent Ynigez

3

Answered . There is no "form" that you file to make sure that your provider is paid. Your attorney may submit a form to your provider for medical treatment, your medical provider may have you sign lien paperwork (I have seen providers request UCC-1 documents), or you may submit your health insurance to the provider. The decision is based on the health care provider that treated you. Otherwise, you have a bill that you pay when the lawsuit is settled. If represented, or pro se, there should be a disbursal letter showing how the settlement funds will be disbursed to each party involved, including medical providers. You should contact a personal injury attorney in your area to protect your interest.