What Form/s do I need to fill out , to get my green card back that expired 8 years ago.

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Hi, I got my Green Card issued (the first time) in Oct 1989 (for 2 years) through my Husband (Active Duty Army). My Husband past away active duty in Nov 1990. In 1994, I got issued a 10 year Permenant Residence Card in San Diego, CA. I came back to live in Italy (working as a civilian) for the US Military. My green card expired in 2004, but I now i would like to move and work in the US. Thanks in advance!

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

2

2

Answered . There is no automatic abandonment of a green card. There is a rebuttal resumption of abandonment that can be overcome in many circumstances including those like yours if you can convince people that you always planned to return and back it with real evidence to support this.

2. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . It may or may not be possible depending on all the facts of the case.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

3. Andrew Marino Bramante

2

Answered . Because you have been out of the country for more than 1 year, your green card will be considered abandoned. You will need an attorney experienced working with consulates to try to help you apply for an exception. It may be extremely difficult.