What form(s) do I need to notify bank my father passed away?

Asked over 1 year ago - Glendale, AZ

My father passed away 2 years ago from a suicide. I have not come to terms with his suicide until recently and I did not notify his bank. He is the sole owner of the account. His estate is valued less then $50K. He left me in charge of everything. I have 1 sister and she pretty much let me take care of his things as I always had. He did not leave a will but he wrote before he committed suicide to leave everything to me BUT it was not notarized. I always had taken care of his personal stuff. I have his drivers license, passport, bank card and deed to a house he owned. He also owns a seller/buyer deed. Would the note he left is sufficient enough to transfer the deed and bank account? My name is the only name on his death certificate. He was not married. I live in Maricopa, Phoenix Arizo

1. Celia R Reed

4

Answered . I have attached the instructions and form for Affidavit for Collection of Personal Property. This is your starting point. Sometimes the bank require additional information, so you will need to work with them. Good luck.
    http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/SuperiorC...

2. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

3

Answered . I'm sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, you will need to retain an Arizona attorney to assist you with the necessary documentation to transfer your father's assets. Given the fact that he owned a $50,000 bank account and a home, the odds are that you will need to be appointed as the Administrator of his estate. If he was unmarried at the time of his death, you and your sister should be the sole heirs. Good luck to you.

3. James P. Frederick

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You should consult with a probate lawyer to determine how best to proceed. You may be able to use a small estate proceeding of some kind. This would likely provide for an equal division of the estate, however, and would not take the alleged Will into account. In Michigan, it is possible that the note could be considered a Will. Arizona mileage may vary a great deal. An attorney can advise you how to proceed.

James Frederick