Skip to main content

What form do I need to file to become a us citizen under my mom?

Fresno, CA |

my family, we live in California for 20 plus years and she became a us citizen in 2001. at that time I was 13 years of age... what form do I need to file out to become a citizen under my mom... now I am 25 years of age and I want to become a us citizen but my sister in law told me that since my mom become a us citizen when I am a minor that would make me a citizen... so I just want to know that form I would need to file for a citizenship under my mom even after 10 plus years...

Attorney Answers 3

  1. There are no forms, derivative citizenship is a matter of law. You can derive US citizenship if your mom is a US citizen, you were under 18 years old, you were a green card holder, and you reside in the U.S.

    The information on this website is not intended to be legal advice.

  2. Attorney Ye is right on the money..

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. You can file form N-600 or simply apply for a US passport.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics