What form do i need to eliminate myself as a co trustee

Asked almost 2 years ago - Concord, CA

My sister and I are co trustee's For my father trust. he is a widower and has past away. I live in Texas and so I need to be out as a trustee and let my sister take care of things.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Ian A. Scharg


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A trustee who has accepted the trust may resign only by one
    of the following methods:
    (a) As provided in the trust instrument.
    (b) In the case of a revocable trust, with the consent of the
    person holding the power to revoke the trust.
    (c) In the case of a trust that is not revocable, with the consent
    of all adult beneficiaries who are receiving or are entitled to
    receive income under the trust or to receive a distribution of
    principal if the trust were terminated at the time consent is sought.
    If a beneficiary has a conservator, the conservator may consent to
    the trustee's resignation on behalf of the conservatee without
    obtaining court approval. Without limiting the power of the
    beneficiary to consent to the trustee's resignation, if the
    beneficiary has designated an attorney in fact who has the power
    under the power of attorney to consent to the trustee's resignation,
    the attorney in fact may consent to the resignation.
    (d) Pursuant to a court order obtained on petition by the trustee
    under Section 17200. The court shall accept the trustee's resignation
    and may make any orders necessary for the preservation of the trust
    property, including the appointment of a receiver or a temporary

    If you have any questions feel free to contact me and I would be happy to walk you through your options.

    Ian A. Scharg, Esq.
    Law Offices of Mark A. Redmond
    555 Capitol Mall, Suite 770
    Sacramento, Ca 95814
    (916) 444-8240

    Elder Abuse. Estates Litigation. Fraud. Class Actions

    This is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney if... more
  2. Harald Westendorf

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Although I agree with my colleague's answer, It seems from your question that your father has just recently passed away. If you have not begun to act as cotrustee with your sister, You may be able to simply prepare a form called Declination to Act as Trustee and give it to your sister.

    No attorney-client relationship shall be created by any responses to inquiries on this website. All of my... more
  3. Eric Jerome Gold


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . My colleagues have provided you with good responses. Depending on your current states (have you begun to act as co-trustee yet?), you should contact your estate attorney for situation specific advice.

    ** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,019 answers this week

2,405 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,019 answers this week

2,405 attorneys answering