What form do I file to extend a child custody hearing in Las Vegas? Also the other party has an attorney & I need representation

Las Vegas, NV |

I have an evidentary hearing on Dec. 31,2013 and they want the paperwork starting 11-17-13. Also I'm from California

An evidentiary hearing can be continued on the showing of good cause. But inconvenience isn't good cause, and if you are this close to trial, it's going to be hard - hard to get a continuance and hard to find a lawyer who can step in on short notice unless it's a straight-forward case. You will want to get your entire file in an electronic format so you can email it to the attorney so they can look it over. Expect them to ask pointed questions, and answer then fully and honestly. You've got a lot of ground to cover in a very short period.

Thank you and I understand. It wasn't inconvenience. I had to let go David Mann of Law Firm Express because he wasn't properly representing my case and almost sabotaged my original trial date. The other party's attorney kept sending paperwork over to David Mann when they were suppose to forward it over to me. So I didn't find out about the evidentary and the pretrail exhibits till yesterday. So I was going to try to file a Motion of Continuance on these grounds. Would that be acceptable? Would you be able to take my case if the other party doesn't settle tomorrow, Jason.

Also the other person doesn't have any evidence on me. The reason she's stating she kept my child from me for the last five years is because he has autism.

Keith Pickard

Keith Pickard

Call me if you can't settle today. 702-755-7445. Email what papers you do have to Keith@PickardLawGroup.com. It's not going to be easy, but we'll see what we can do.

File a Motion to Continue Hearing on an Order Shortening Time. You should have a really good reason before you ask for a continuance. You might want to contact opposing counsel and see if she would stipulate to a continuation.

It sounds like you are looking to hire an attorney. You should do so as soon as you can and your attorney can determine whether or not a continuance is even necessary. If so, your attorney can either request that the other side stipulate to a continuance or file a Motion with the Court requesting a continuance.

Child custody topics