What form/affidavit should be signed if a stepfather wants his stepchild to use his last name?

Asked over 1 year ago - Peekskill, NY

I am petitioning a name change for my minor so he can use my husband's (stepfather) last name before we register him to kindergarten. I called the county clerk's office and they gave me the procedures. They had mentioned that I need to have my husband sign and affidavit saying that he is aware of the name change and he is acknowledging it and that he is taking full responsibility. What is the appropriate form that should be used? Thanks in advance.

1. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

3

Answered . You need to commence a name change proceeding. The link to the instructions/forms is as follows: http://www.courts.state.ny.us/forms/namechange..... You should note that the biological father will need to be served with a court summons. Nevertheless, I advise you to consult further with a Westchester Co. Family law attorney.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  2. Susan Kathleen Duke

Pro

3

Answered . In addition to the other information given you usually will need the consent of the father.

3. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

1

Answered . is it an adoption or just a name change?