What fines/ sentence do i face?

Lancaster, NY |

I was arrested for shoplifting $140 dollars worth of items. After being arrested my things were searched. Inside one of my bags in my purse was an ibuprofen bottle which had a half of a lortab which had been sitting there for 2 years since my wisdom teeth surgery which i had completely forgotten about. When i looked at my appearance ticket i noticed i was charged with possession of a controlled substance? What is going to happen? I have no criminal background and have never been in trouble with the law before

1. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer and look for your old prescription or contact the pharmacy or prior doctor to get a copy of the prescription.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

2. They normally reduce these charges for 1st offenders. Ultimately, community service and fines may total $500.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

3. It is a class A misdemeanor so if you have no priors a good lawyer whould be able to get you something that will not leave you with a criminal record. I suggest you hire a good criminal defense lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

4. I agree with my collegues. Obtaining the prescription is a good idea and will be helpful. The charges are serious enough that you should hire an experienced attorney in the general area of the Court. That being said and givent he circumstances that you have presented, the outcome of the case should be favorable.

5. You need to contact a local criminal attorney prior to your court appearance.

6. Be more concerned about your driver's license if convicted of a drug related crime (mandatory suspension absent compelling reasons) and discuss this with your attorney, even if you are youthful offender eligible.