What exspense should be expected to be deductded from the settlement check?

Fort Valley, GA |

ex. medical ect.

1. Your question is unclear and we would need more information about your claim/lawsuit to offer any coherent answer. Typically any liens or litigation costs may be deducted from a settlement prior to disbursement.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

2. Costs and the medical liens. Refer to your fee agreement. Have your lawyer negotiate down the liens to 5-10 cents on the dollar before you sign the release.

3. Case expenses such as court costs, expert fees, reporters fees must be paid in full. Some liens can be negotiated down, others can't. It depends on the nature of the lien, to whom the money is owed, and how much was recovered . To suggest that the client should not sign a release until the attorney has negotiated all the liens down 90% or more is not good advice. Medicare, for example, may not even tell the lawyer what the lien is until the settlement amount is finalized.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

4. Based on the info provided, I would presume normal "expenses" are Court filing fees, extensive photo copy jobs, courier service, parking and tolls to go to Court, medical record copying fees, etc.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.