What exactly to do if a murder was being blamed on my kids dad?

Lucerne Valley, CA |

Some LA detectives had came to my house last month saying that 20 yes ago that there was a murder in diamond bar and that the guy looks just like my kids dad youtube.com/diamond bar am/pm murder... but my kids dad swear that he's never been to diamond bar and is so scared to come around or even talk to them so he's hiding ..yesterday they came back and told me that someone pointed him out of a photo line up ..I dont understand ? And how should we get help? Please help

Hire an attorney for your baby's daddy. Do not try to handle this yourself. Retain an experienced and well-respected attorney to take charge.

He needs to contact an attorney and get advice immediately. Have him make some calls ASAP. If he is charged, he could be facing a potential life sentence. If he is innocent, he needs to build his defense now, especially given how long ago the events took place (20 years?)

This is an EXTREMELY serious situation for you and your kid's dad. Hiding does not help as that tends to suggest to law enforcement a "consciousness of guilt." You need to retain an experienced criminal defense attorney IMMEDIATELY to assist your kid's dad. Most of us here on AVVO will offer a free initial consultation, so, just call or email for help....

Although I'm not convinced that hiding is the best course of action, it is absolutely essential that your kid's dad make no statement whatsoever to the police. NONE.

An attorney can contact the police/detectives and find out more about the nature of their inquiry. Nobody other than an experienced criminal defense attorney should contact the police on his behalf.

Get help ASAP. Help is just a phone call, or email, or "click" away...

San Diego Criminal Defense Attorney--19 years experience. Law Offices of Jay S. Finnecy

Two things:
1. If you or someone you care about are suspected of a crime, never ever ever speak to the police beyond finding out why. No good will EVER come from making a statement to the police when they have already decided that you are a suspect. Police officers will lie to you and they will twist your words and they will feel completely smugly justified in doing so to get a conviction.
2. You need to know if a warrant gas been issued for his arrest. In most Counties this only requires you to call the courthouse and ask. If a warrant is ever issued he will obviously need a lawyer of his own to defend him.
3. (Sorry just thought of this one) - occasionally some particularly hate-worthy cops will try to scare spouses of people they are looking for by telling them that if they don't give the location of a hiding person that they will be comiting the crime of being an "accessory." This is more than a half-lie, it's about a seventy-five-percent lie. It is, in fact, illegal to aid a person who you know has comited a crime, or who you know the police intend to ARREST, to avoid them. A person who is only wanted for questioning, however, is under NO OBLIGATION, to talk to the cops, and neither are you. Because cops use these kinds of unethical methods I always advise not only the client, but every member of the clients family, to refuse to speak to the police. Different lawyers give different answers as to how this should be done. Many will tell you to be polite. I don't. They don't deserve it. Just hang up on them. Don't engage at all. If they come to your house without a warrant, don't answer the door. If the have a warrant, open the door, remain silent, and call a lawyer as soon as they leave.

The best way to make this go away is for the suspect to lawyer up and not speak a word to the investigators. It appears that the are grasping at straws so they are looking for him to say anything that can be misrepresented. Many reputable attorneys offer a free consultation. And to represent someone prior to filing is very economical. Representing someone for murder is very expensive so get rid of it now.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

This is easy. Don't talk to police ever about anything. Hire a criminal attorney to deal with cops and investigate. Don't try to handle anything yourself. Don't talk about this incident to anyone except a criminal attorney in private