What exactly is a DMV hearing?

Asked over 2 years ago - Lithonia, GA

When I have this hearing, will I be able to get my license right away? I spoke with a lawyer and he told, I was ok going alone. But I am not sure. Thank you

1. Evan A. Watson

Pro

8

1

Best Answer

Answered . The DMV hearing in Georgia is actually an administrative hearing where the Georgia Dept. of Driver Services may potentially suspend your driver's license, depending on the outcome of the hearing. I would never attend one of these hearings without the assistance of a lawyer. You could be looking at up to a one year license suspension even on a first lifetime DUI in Georgia.

Call a DUI defense attorney in advance of your hearing. Get the ins and outs explained to you, and hire someone that you feel will effectively represent you.

For more information on ALS hearings and license suspensions from DUI, you can call my office directly at 770 887 3720, or visit:

http://www.forsythcountycriminaldefenselawyer.c...

2. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

Pro

8

1

Answered . It depends. If the officer doesn't show or you sign a 1205 withdrawal you can get your license back in about a week once the paperwork catches up in the system at DDS. If you lose the hearing how long you will be suspended for depends on whether you took the state's chemical test, refused it, and whether or not you have any other DUI convictions in the past 5 years.
    Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

3. John Lawrence Buckley

7

1

Answered . Whenever you are facing DUI charges, there are two separate processes going on...the criminal charges in court and the driver's license consequences at the DMV. This DMV hearing will decide whether you get to keep your driving privileges.

I would respectfully disagree with the lawyer you spoke with. Call some others and seek representation for both the criminal case and the DMV hearing.

4. Marcus Bazzell Boston

5

1

Answered . You need to speak with another attorney in your area about this. These DMV hearings are serious, especially when they are due to a DUI. If it is possible, do not go to this hearing by yourself.

Good luck!

5. John Joseph VanDervoort

Pro

2

Answered . no ..you donot fill your own teeth do you? www.duiking.com..