Skip to main content

What exactly does Rule 75, in Franklin County Ohio courts consist of?

Columbus, OH |
Filed under: Divorce

Going through a divorce and just got a gaurdian and now the other parent filed for rule 75.

Attorney Answers 2


Actually "Rule 75" refers to the Ohio Rules of Civil Procedure rather than a local rule for Franklin County. Ohio Civil Rule 75 has special provisions that are only applicable to Divorce, annulment and Legal Separation actions. I expect that the particular provision being referred to is Rule 75(M) which pertains to temporary orders (orders "pendente lite"). It provides that the Court may grant temporary orders when requested by either party and when counter-affidavits must be filed. It also provides that after a temporary order has been filed, either party may file a request for an "oral hearing" for the purpose of modifying the temporary order. The oral hearing is to be conducted within 28 days - but the temporary order is not suspended while awaiting the oral hearing. If temporary orders were not granted yet, you need to discuss this matter with your attorney so that you can have your affidavits filed within the time limits, if temporary orders were established, then you need to determine what witnesses you will need and what they will be testifying to.

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: Mr. Piper's response set forth above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Mr. Piper's responses to all questions posted on AVVO are intended to provide general information based upon the his understanding of the facts stated in the question, and are for the general educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual. Also, a particular case may involve additional facts and circumstances which might invalidate some or all of the concepts provided in this answer and therefore you should not rely upon this answer in any individual situation. In order to offer legal advice about this or any similar situation, a qualified attorney would likely need to consider many factors not stated in the question and would need to question the potential client in order to clarify the specific facts operable in that case. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, it is recommended that you contact an attorney in your state. Mr. Piper is licensed to practice law in the State of Ohio, and may be contacted directly via email at:

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

1 comment

Brian Scott Piper

Brian Scott Piper


Actually Rule 75 (N) - typo


They filed a Motion pursuant to Ohio Rules of Civil Procedure 75. It could be any number of things that are governed by that particular civil rule. Read a copy of what was filed (you or your attorney should receive a copy in the mail) and it should be pretty clear what they are asking the judge for.

Mr. Esposito is a Ohio-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Andrew Esposito does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege until otherwise advised.

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics