What exactly comes with a free 1 hour consultation with an attorney?

Daytona Beach, FL |

I know he/she will ask how I got the charges, but for instance, what questions do I need to ask? Will I be receiving any legal advice?

1. Depends on the attorney. Not likely to get advice without a representation agreement.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

2. Usually, it is a general discussion about your potential or ongoing case. It sounds criminal, so your attorney will not be able to answer specific questions about your case. This is because you have to retain him/her first, so that they may file a notice of appearance on your behalf. Once this is done, your attorney may demand for discovery to see what evidence they have against you. Then and only then will you know what your real chances are against the State. You should research your attorney and make sure they are experienced in criminal defense and have practiced in the county where you got arrested. Good luck.

The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that you should undertake with careful considerations. The use of Avvo, Inc.'s question and answer forum is only to provide general information and in no way forms an attorney-client relationship between the you and the attorney answering your question.

3. You will get up to an hour of the attorneys time, with some of it spent filling out forms and possibly speaking with a non-lawyer such as a para legal or investigator. The lawyer will give you some general advice but will not tell you how to handle your case, trial tricks or how you can handle your case without a lawyer. A consultation is really a sales presentation. The only thing a lawyer has to sell is his/her time. If you go see several lawyers fishing for information and have no intention of hiring an attorney, your are stealing from those attorneys. I can usually tell when someone is fishing and cut the consultation short because I have better uses of my time.

The information provided in this response is offered as a public service. It does not create an attorney/client relationship. The answer reflects the authors opinion, based on his experience, without having conducted research on your specific issue. Please be advised that laws and court practice vary by state, jurisdictions, and court personnel. Answers given here are generalities and may not apply to your specific case. No warranties of opinion are expressed or implied. If your legal issue is in Charlotte, NC, I offer free telephone consultations.