What exactly comes with a free 1 hour consultation with an attorney?

Asked 10 months ago - Daytona Beach, FL

I know he/she will ask how I got the charges, but for instance, what questions do I need to ask? Will I be receiving any legal advice?

1. Aseal F Morghem

Pro

2

Answered . Usually, it is a general discussion about your potential or ongoing case. It sounds criminal, so your attorney will not be able to answer specific questions about your case. This is because you have to retain him/her first, so that they may file a notice of appearance on your behalf. Once this is done, your attorney may demand for discovery to see what evidence they have against you. Then and only then will you know what your real chances are against the State. You should research your attorney and make sure they are experienced in criminal defense and have practiced in the county where you got arrested. Good luck.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

Answered . Depends on the attorney. Not likely to get advice without a representation agreement.

3. Timothy M. Smith

Answered . You will get up to an hour of the attorneys time, with some of it spent filling out forms and possibly speaking with a non-lawyer such as a para legal or investigator. The lawyer will give you some general advice but will not tell you how to handle your case, trial tricks or how you can handle your case without a lawyer. A consultation is really a sales presentation. The only thing a lawyer has to sell is his/her time. If you go see several lawyers fishing for information and have no intention of hiring an attorney, your are stealing from those attorneys. I can usually tell when someone is fishing and cut the consultation short because I have better uses of my time.