What evidence does an attorney need in order to successfully win a slip and fall case?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

It's hard economic times, I want to sue a retail store for slipping and falling at their store.

1. Steven Mark Sweat

Pro

9

1

Best Answer

Answered . The legal standard is whether the store knew or should have known that there was a dangerous condition which caused you to fall with sufficient time to eliminate the condition. Evidence can come in pictures, videos, witness statements and other corroboration of the condition and how long it had been there. The second requirement is damages and, you are right, that it is becoming harder to convince a jury on these cases and most attorneys would need some, significant injury to justify the expense of pursuing the case.

2. David J. McCormick

9

1

Answered . Pictures or video surveillance go a long way in helping out these cases. So do independent witnesses. You should call a personal injury attorney to review your legal options.

3. Robert Bruce Kopelson

7

1

Answered . In addition to the above answers, you have to prove negligence. The store had to cause the dangerous condition to exist (employee spilled water and didnt clean up), or they knew the dangerous condition was there and had time to remedy it or at least warn of it and didnt, or the condition was such that they were negligent for not knowing it was there. (eg they never inspect the floor)

As mentioned you need to have suffered damage.

4. Martin Paul Weniz

2

Answered . As an experienced Los Angeles personal injury attorney would like to know what injuries you sustained from your injury. The amount awarded depends on a variety of factors (loss of wages, medical expenses, suffering etc.) but the driving force behind the case is the injury. I have over 30 years of experience practicing law and have advocated on behalf of my clients to protect their rights and allow them to receive high compensations. I hope that I can be of greater service to you.

Martin P. Weniz
    (310) 268 5555