Skip to main content

What evidence do I need to sue someone for harrassment?

Chicago, IL |

what evidence do I need that this person is making me miserable for fun?

Attorney Answers 3


Without a whole lot more information than your have provided, the only answer we can give you is that you must have evidence sufficient to prove that you have been harassed to a level that you are entitled to file a lawsuit. Then the question become, what do you think you could accomplish by such a suit unless you can show significant money or other concrete damages.

In other words - Can you win a lawsuit, and of so, on what legal theory?

Mark as helpful


Illinois criminal law says harassment is making an obscene, vulgar or indecent comment or request with the intent to offend, threaten, or annoy some person.

Harassment does not only occur face-to-face. It can also occur over the telephone, by text message or on the internet.

Mark as helpful


The merits could be established only during an in depth review of all factors and details you have to share with an attorney in person to see if you have a case.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Mark as helpful

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics