What evidence can be use in a trial to discredit what the other party said

Binghamton, NY |

I was charged with felony assault in the 2nd degree. I accidentally injured the other person while trying to defend myself. the other person had a knife and I threw an object in their general direction to get them to move so that I could escape and it might have hit them. The other person is saying that there was no knife, but they are lying about that. we were the only 2 people there,so who does one believe

Is it possible during the trial to bring up evidence that she is a liar about so many other things to show her character How do I know who is the right counsel to choose fo this?

The trier of fact believes the one it decides is the most credible.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

It sounds like it is your word against the other person's, but this question is very fact specific so hire a good lawyer with experience defending these kinds of cases.

It's a classic he said/he said so it will come down to credibility. If you have an attorney, take a meeting to go over these issues. If you don't, get one soon!

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

This is the very type of case when your trial counsel will make all the difference int he world. Choose wisely.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

I handle these cases statewide, feel free to look at my Avvo profile and reviews. I offer a free consultation. I would look for witnesses surveillance video, and look at the criminal history of the witnesses.
John J. Carney Esq. 917 696 2363