What elements need be present in order for a bankruptcy trustee in California to void 7 years of transfers ?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

In California a bankruptcy trustee can use the state law in order to void transfers made by the debtor prior to filing a chapter 7 bankruptcy. I have been informed the state law has statute of limitations of 4 years., but I have also read of a 7 year statute of limitations also. So then....

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Brian Crozier Whitaker

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . BK Trustees can look back two years for any "fraudulent transfers" for which the debtor did not receive reasonably equivalent value. I've seen them go back as far as four years for actual fraud wherein the transfer was made for the very purpose of defrauding creditors. I've never seen one go back more than four years.

  2. Malcolm Wallace Ruthven

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Bankruptcy trustees can void two types of transfers, preferential transfers (preferring one creditor over another) and fraudulent transfers (didn't receive full value for the item transferred). The look-back period for preferential transfers is one year for transfers to "insiders" (family, business partners, etc) and 90 days for transfers to other people. For fraudulent transfers in California, there is a four-year statute of limitations for "constructive" fraudulent transfers (no "actual intent to hinder, delay or defraud any creditor"). For "actual intent" fraudulent transfers, legal action can be brought at any time before the later of (1) four years after the transfer was made or (2) within seven years of when the transfer was made, as long as the action is brought within one year after the transfer or obligations could reasonably have been discovered by the claimant.

    The full subject of voiding transfers involves more than can be explained in this answer. You should consult with an experienced bankruptcy attorney in your area.

    This reply does not constitute legal advice or establish an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Diane L Gruber


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Need more information about the transfers to answer your question. Invest in a consultation with a local BK attorney.

    Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662.... more
  4. Dorothy G Bunce


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You are missing the point by looking at the statute of limitation. You ought to be looking at the Uniform Fraudulent Transfers Act as it applies in your state. Hope this perspective helps!

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now