What effect does an issued restraining order have on me ?

Asked over 4 years ago - Modesto, CA

My concern is what impact on my life does this order have such as employment,credit,or anytime someone has to run a background check on me ?

1. Christy Michelle Carlisle

Answered . The type of restraining order that was issued dictates the impact that it will have on your life. If the restraining order ("RO") that was issued was a "CLETs" order, the RO can impact you life in numerous ways. A CLETs order is registered with law enforcement and will appear when a Department of Justice background check is run. A RO can impact your ability to gain certain types of employment, your ability to volunteer as a coach or other youth mentor, and can impact you in child custody/visitation proceedings and support proceedings. I have never heard of a RO effecting a individual's credit rating. If a hearing is pending it is best to defend the RO and request a trial if necessary to attempt to keep such an order from being put into place. Every situation is very fact specific -- I would recommend consulting an attorney.