What does USCIS # mean?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

I recently received EAC and was wondering what does USCIS # xxx-xxx-xxx (nine digits) mean? can I look it uo online somewhere the same way as checking case status using EAC number?
Thanks

1. Jennifer Doerrie

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . Hello,

My colleague is correct that the USCIS number (also sometimes called the A number) is your alien registration number. Effectively, it is your case file number with the U.S. Immigration Service. If you are asked for your alien number or A number (such as on a renewal application if you have to file for renewal in the future), that is the number you would need to provide. Unlike the application receipt number you may used to check case status online, your alien registration number usually stays the same no matter what sort of application you file, while receipt numbers change with almost every different and new application.

Your alien number is NOT the same as a social security or tax ID number, so please do not try to use it for that purpose. However, if needed, you can use your employment authorization document to apply for a separate social security card and number with your local Social Security office.

Best wishes,
    Jennifer

2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Answered . An EAC number is a code issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on a specialized form used for some type of applications such as foreign workers, Form I-129S and others.
    Usually, the issued EAC number indicates that the form is processed by the USCIS Vermont Service Center as a designated for certain type of applications.
    One may further see the updates or processing time with that submission on the USCIS site below: http://www.immihelp.com/processing-times/uscis-...

3. Jennifer Lynn Bennett

Answered . The 9-digit number if your personal "alien registration number". In the immigration world, it is often referred to as your "A number". This is number is personal to you and can not be found online. I would not share this number with others and I would keep it handy as you will likely need it for almost anything you apply for with immigration in the future. An "A number" is different than a "Receipt" number--any time that you apply for any benefit with immigration, you will recieve what is called a "I-797 Receipt Notice" form which will contain a receipt number which you may use to look up your case status for that particular application. However, a receipt number will change with each application, while your A number will remain the same permanently. Hope that helps!

4. Ala M. Hamayel

1

1

Answered . That's your alien number. No, it is not found online. Check your documents you received from USCIS and it should be listed on them.