What Does this statement mean? Status- Account charged off.$17,036 written off $20,108 past due as of July -2011.

Asked over 1 year ago - Denver, CO

This was on credit report dated Aug. 6,2011

1. Deborah F Bowinski

3

Answered . It means that while you still owe the debt, the original creditor has written off the balance from their books. They may or may not have referred or sold the account to a collection agency.

2. E Dwight Taylor

Answered . When a creditor charges off a debt, it only means that the creditor is no longer reporting that as a performing loan or an asset on its books. It has nothing to do with your liability on the debt.

3. Todd Michael Boudreaux

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with the previous answer. Realize that a "charge off" is an accounting entry for the creditor. it does not mean that the debt has gone away or that the creditor or a collection agency cannot try to collect the debt from you.