What Does this statement mean? Status- Account charged off.$17,036 written off $20,108 past due as of July -2011.

Denver, CO |

This was on credit report dated Aug. 6,2011

It means that while you still owe the debt, the original creditor has written off the balance from their books. They may or may not have referred or sold the account to a collection agency.

Stephen Clark Harkess

Stephen Clark Harkess

It also means that if the debt has not been sold to a collection agency it eventually will be. The creditor has nothing to lose.

I agree with the previous answer. Realize that a "charge off" is an accounting entry for the creditor. it does not mean that the debt has gone away or that the creditor or a collection agency cannot try to collect the debt from you.

When a creditor charges off a debt, it only means that the creditor is no longer reporting that as a performing loan or an asset on its books. It has nothing to do with your liability on the debt.

This general response is not intended to be legal advice because I don't have all the facts. The particular facts in each instance will change the recommendation significantly. Any statements made in your posting on Avvo are not protected by the attorney-client privilege because they are shared with third parties. I require a written contract for legal services, so an attorney-client relationship may not be presumed merely by my response to an Avvo posting.