What does this mean on a small claims case..."Case Disposed With Disposition Of Judgement Contested"

Placentia, CA |
Filed under: Litigation

It has been more than 2 weeks and I still have not received a judgement letter in the mail from the North Justice Center in Orange County, CA

The term "disposed" means the case has concluded and the phrase "disposition of judgment contested" means the case has concluded after a contested trial on the merits. The language you quote suggests a judgment has been entered, but does not indicate which side prevailed. You should contact the court clerk to confirm the judgment has been entered and to get a copy of it. If you were sued and judgment was entered against you, and wish to appeal by requesting trial de novo, you have a limited period to act so you should not delay. You may wish to contact the Small Claims Advisory Program at 800 963-7717, for the free legal assistance they offer. (See

You may have to take added steps to reduce the ruling to a judgment. Call the small claims office as Mr. Swenson suggests.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose A Lawyer For You"

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer"

Good luck to you.

God bless. I am in Chicago and do not practice in your state.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in your state in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Litigation topics

Recommended articles about Litigation