What does this mean? Drugs - 5th Degree - Possess Schedule 1,2,3,4 - Not Small Amount Marijuana (Not applicable - GOC)

Asked almost 3 years ago - Warroad, MN

Specifically the Not applicable GOC

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Benjamin Josef Colburn

    Contributor Level 13


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Generally speaking, a 5th Degree Controlled Substance crime is the lowest level (least serious) felony drug crime in the Minnesota Statutes. However, it remains a felony level offense, for which a person can be sent to prison, most often depending upon the person's prior record (or lack thereof). If you have no (or a very minimal) prior record there may possibly be a way through which you could focus on a treatment-oriented path which could result in eventual dismissal of the charges, though whether this sort of resolution would be available to you is not certain and would need to be investigated/clarified.

    Since this is a felony offense (which has implications of lifetime significance), you should, without question, hire an attorney to represent you.

    The content of this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a source of... more
  2. Brent Schafer


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Fifth Degree Controlled Substance offense is the lowest level felony drug offense under Minnesota Statutes. Generally applies to small amounts if drugs or larger amounts if marijuana. If it is a first offense, there are various strategies one can employ that could result in the offense being dismissed and not reported to your permanent record; that us, if you plead or found guilty. It is important that you obtain legal counsel or advice before dealing with any drug charge. Given the broad nature of your question, I hope this helps.

  3. Max Allen Keller


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . This is 5th Degree Controlled Substance Crime, the lowest level drug crime in Minnesota. It IS, However, a Felony. If you are a first-time offender, you may be able to keep this off your record. Feel free to call us at 952-913-1421 or www.KellerLawOffices.com for a Free consult.

    Nothing herein shall constitute legal advice, nor has an attorney-client relationship been formed. www.... more
  4. Barry Alan Cattadoris

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . I highly suggest talking to a criminal defense attorney about your matter. They might be able to help see if there are any diversion programs available in your case.

    This post does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not intended as legal advice. You should consult... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,322 answers this week

3,008 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,322 answers this week

3,008 attorneys answering