WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? "SENTENCED TO STATE PRISON FOR A TOTAL INDETERMINATE SENTENCE OF 75 YEARS TO LIFE AND 5 YEARS DETERMINATE."

San Bernardino, CA |

I READ THAT MY SON HAS TO DO THE DETERMINATE AND IF HE DOES GOOD AND FOLLOWS THE PROGRAM, THAT CDC MAY PAROLE HIM OUT IF SEE FIT. IS THIS RIGHT?

No I do not read it that way. The 75 year to life term means to me that he would not get paroled for a considerable amount of time. Recent changes in parole law can mean longer periods between a first parole hearing and a second one. I suggest speaking to his attorney of record regarding the issue of parole eligibility

Your son has to do the deteriminate sentence and then starts the 75 to life. He wouldn't see a parole date, if ever, until he has done about 60 years plus. Realistically, he's never getting out of prison. Soryy to break the bad news to you.

The information and legal suggestions made herein do not in any way create an attorney-client relationship. The responses provided herein discuss general principles of law and should not be relied upon by the asker in making legal decisions. Only an attorney who has met with the asker and fully reviewed the facts and circumstances of the asker's individual case should be relied upon for legal advice. If you find my suggestions helpful, please mark the appropriate box as helpful.

No, it will be many, many years before your son has a parole hearing. As the system is today and has been since the 70s, many inmates in this situation will never be free. For an example, look at the parole hearings for many noticeable inmates in similar situations. They are rarely released.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.