What does this mean? "Sentence withheld, 2 years probation, 32 days in jail, alcohol court, AODA assess, VIP, 30 mo rev,"

Asked almost 2 years ago - Milwaukee, WI

I cant tell what to expect from this sentencing. Probation only?

1. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Pro

2

1

Answered . It means:

1. The possible sentence if probation is violated has not been determined and is up to the maximum sentence for the offense (which sounds like 3rd offense OWI).

2. 32 days in jail (less good time of 1/5)

3. Probation for 2 years.

4. Alcohol treatment court - which can sanction additional jail without a revocation

5. Alcohol and Other Drug Assessment - an interview to develop a treatment plan which must be followed.

6. Victim Impact Panel - listening to people who were hurt by drunk drivers tell how much it hurt

7. Drivers license revocation for 30 months (less any time spent administratively revoked for same offense)

There should also be IID - Ignition Interlock Device - a car breathalyzer - probably for 30 months in all cars owned or driven by defendant.

I am assuming in telling you this that you are asking about a Wisconsin sentence, given your Milwaukee address.

2. Michael C. Witt

Pro

2

1

Answered . As Attorney Kenyon has already noted, this is not a straight probation recommendation. In addition to the specific court-ordered consequences he recited, you need to be aware of the fact that in addition to standard probation rules, you will be subjected to a very strict set of additional probation rules on an OWI-related probation, including the possibility of needing to wear an alcohol monitor. I almost never advise clients to accept probation in non-felony OWI cases. In my opinion, most people are better off just doing their jail and being done with it.

3. John Scott Swimmer

1

1

Answered . You will be given a report date for jail 32 days. You may eligible for Huber if your employed or caring for a child or parent depending on the county. This is at the Sheriff's discertion. You will be on probation for two years. Your drivers license will be revoked for 30 months.