What does this mean? "Sentence withheld, 2 years probation, 32 days in jail, alcohol court, AODA assess, VIP, 30 mo rev,"

Milwaukee, WI |

I cant tell what to expect from this sentencing. Probation only?

1. It means:

1. The possible sentence if probation is violated has not been determined and is up to the maximum sentence for the offense (which sounds like 3rd offense OWI).

2. 32 days in jail (less good time of 1/5)

3. Probation for 2 years.

4. Alcohol treatment court - which can sanction additional jail without a revocation

5. Alcohol and Other Drug Assessment - an interview to develop a treatment plan which must be followed.

6. Victim Impact Panel - listening to people who were hurt by drunk drivers tell how much it hurt

7. Drivers license revocation for 30 months (less any time spent administratively revoked for same offense)

There should also be IID - Ignition Interlock Device - a car breathalyzer - probably for 30 months in all cars owned or driven by defendant.

I am assuming in telling you this that you are asking about a Wisconsin sentence, given your Milwaukee address.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. This answer is not legal advice, which requires a personal connection and far more facts. This attorney does not give legal advice over the Internet. This is a general statement about law, not advice.

2. You will be given a report date for jail 32 days. You may eligible for Huber if your employed or caring for a child or parent depending on the county. This is at the Sheriff's discertion. You will be on probation for two years. Your drivers license will be revoked for 30 months.

This is not intended as legal advice. It is only provided for educational purposes and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Further no attorney client relationship is or has been formed by answering this question.

3. As Attorney Kenyon has already noted, this is not a straight probation recommendation. In addition to the specific court-ordered consequences he recited, you need to be aware of the fact that in addition to standard probation rules, you will be subjected to a very strict set of additional probation rules on an OWI-related probation, including the possibility of needing to wear an alcohol monitor. I almost never advise clients to accept probation in non-felony OWI cases. In my opinion, most people are better off just doing their jail and being done with it.

This answer is provided for general information only. No legal advice can be given without a consult as to the specifics of the case.