What does the three strikes law exactly mean?

Tupelo, MS |

does it mean if you go to jail three times that you will be in prison for life or prison 3 times for the same thing that you will go to prison for life, what if I got to jail for the same things three times will I be put in prison for life then, or is it prison clarify thanks

I don't practice in MS, but 3 strikes laws are similar in at least this respect: when you commit your third, usually violent criminal offense, you get put away for as much as 25 years to life in prison. That is, strike three and you're out.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

Three-strikes laws require courts to impose harsher sentences on repeat, habitual offenders who get convicted of three or more serious criminal offenses.

In Mississippi on your third felony the prosecution can ask for habitual sentencing. That means if one of your two prior felonies was deemed violent (by statutory definition) the sentence can be life without chance of parole. If neither of the two prior was violent, they can ask for the entire sentence of your third felony without chance of parole. It is an enhancement penalty

The law office of Anders Ferrington 601-316-8428 practices state wide. In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but instead need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice.