What does the new "but for" standard mean for my retaliation case?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

I want to file a wrongful termination against my former employer for retaliation for speaking up against safety and policy violations, and engaging in protected activity. However, during my research, I keep reading about the Nassar case and the "but for" standard, which states it will make it harder for someone like me to prove retaliation. What does it mean for a layman like me to understand what this standards means for my case?

1. Laura Joan Farris

Pro

Answered . Unless you are an experienced employment law attorney, you should not try to evaluate your own case based upon your own legal research. You should consult with an experienced employment law attorney who can advise you as to your rights and potential claims against your former employer. Since there are filing deadlines associated with employment claims you should speak with an experienced attorney as soon as possible to ascertain your filing deadlines and requirements. An experienced employment law attorney will be able to advise you regarding retaliation claims in California.

2. Marilynn Mika Spencer

Answered . The Nassar case discussed retaliation claims under the federal Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title VII 42 U.S.C. §§ 2000e to 2000e–17. The same standard may not apply to your case, especially if it involves health and safety-related retaliation. Additionally, you are fortunate to be in California because in nearly all cases, our state law is better than federal in significant ways.

As Ms. Farris said, you need a professional to analyze your claims. If you value your case, give it – and yourself – appropriate respect and get an attorney.

To find a plaintiffs employment attorney in California, please go to the web site of the California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA). CELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the state for attorneys who represent working people. The web site is www.cela.org. Click on "Find a CELA Member" and you can search by location and practice area. Many CELA attorneys represent clients throughout the state.

I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

1

Answered . The standard applies to the evidence as presented. Any explanation will do. Showing the reason you want to be accepted by the "but for" standard is very hard to convince a trier of fact about

This approach is clearly stated under the recent opinion.

'This is a key passage to consider from the case.......

Nassar (570 U. S. ___) at page 19 of S. Ct.

"Title VII retaliation claims must be proved according to traditional principles of but-for causation, not the lessened causation test stated in §2000e–2(m). This requires proof that the unlawful retaliation would not have occurred in the absence of the alleged wrongful action or actions of the employer."