What does the following mean related to a court report being filed- Disposition type: Dismissed/Superseded by Indictment

Elgin, IL |
Filed under: Criminal charges

Disposition type: Dismissed/Superseded by Indictment (relating to a Class X Felony charge of MFG "delivery" of 15-200 pills) * the "dismissed/superseded by indictment" line was filed on all three charges listed separately for each charge before the preliminary hearing.

Most likely that the lower court charges were replaced with the indictable felonies

The complaint filed as an "information" was superceded (trumped) by the indictment. Either the charges were increased, or they were duplicates to the information and the indictment is the document upon which the prosecution will build its case. You really need a lawyer.

Thank you, my son already has one. But my ex husband's side is not keeping me "updated or in the loop" on what's going on w/ his case. His court date is tomorrow, he's been in jail for 85 days now, he (son) told me he was arrested by undercover state PD & it's his 1st time in trouble. There are 3 people involved (son's "friends"), 1 who told me that "their plan" was to raise $ to help the other friend to make bail for these stupid pills that he was charged a 720/570 402 (C) with & according to them, they talked my son into "go drop them off here" story... My son's never been in trouble or done this kind of thing before. The interesting part is that the friend who was in jail in a different county, his Class 4 (570 402 (C)) got dismissed on 7/17 & then the next day the other county my son is in finally filed the indictment on 7/18 when they hadn't produced a filed report until then. I'm new to all this "law lingo" so I figured I'd ask to better prepare myself for what to ask his attorney tomorrow if they let me talk to him. Thanks! Very helpful information from all 3 answers. *from a worried sick, concerned & heartbroken mother

**my son was/is charged w/ only 15-200 pills (the other friend who got dismissed was 400-900 pills) and the only thing the lawyer told me so far is that he doesn't know the exact count, but does know that it's very close to the 15ct range w/ my son's case. It would appear from information that my son was pretty stupid & naive to not understand the kind of people he was hanging around w/ & just should've known to tell these other 2 friends where to go when they involved him.

Plus, these two friends have rap sheets a mile long, while my son has had nothing more than a few speeding tickets. And has never been in trouble like the other two. I just can't believe my son w/ a clean record is possibly looking at 10min-45max yrs in prison while the other 2 who's charges were regarding possession of WAY more pills seem to be getting off "scott free"... Or as the one friend put on his FB pg, "I'm felony free, whoopee" - "what are the odds that the they (state) would find out what it really was the exact day they had to drop the charges" ... I'm just scared for my son & if this will ruin the rest of his life & how hard he's worked when he became a massage therapist, etc

It means you were indicted by the grand jury
Cookcountynotguilty.com

It means that the original complaint filed by the police will not be heard at a preliminary hearing as the state has chosen to have you indicted by the grand jury instead. It mean you'll be assigned to a trial court to face the Class X charges that carry a mandatory prison sentence if convicted. It means you had better hire an experienced criminal defense attorney. Most of us provide free consultations. www.galivanlaw.net