What does osc failure to appear mean

Asked over 3 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have a civil case against me. I was not served correctly and I was checking on the LA county superior court and the case was rescheduled for another hearing and the reason listed is OSC-Failure to Appear (2. OSC RE: failure to file default). I am not sure what this means?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Richard Alan Rodgers

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . The Court wants the plaintiff to take your default, or explain why not. Whether you think you have been served correctly or not, apparantly there is a Proof of Service filed and more than 30 days has lapsed since the service. You shoud consult a lawyer. He/she will probably advise you to file an answer or a demurrer ASAP to avoid the default. Once a default is taken, it is much more expensive and risky to file a motion to set aside the default.

    Richard A. Rodgers, Esq. (805) 230-2525

    As stated in the AVVO.COM Terms and Conditions of Use, this answer is not intended as legal advice, and no... more
  2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . There was apparently a previous hearing (most likely an Order To Show Cause regarding proof of service of summons) that the plaintiff failed to attend. So now the court has set two Orders to Show Cause. If the plaintiff fails to appear again, the court will most likely dismiss the case. If not, then the plaintiff must demonstrate diligent efforts to take your default.

  3. Douglas Senger Saeltzer

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . I agree with the first response. If you are wrong about service, and the court finds that you were served correctly, then the plaintiff may obtain an enforceable judgment against you.

    You need to consult an attorney to verify if service was correct, and to prevent any default being entered against you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,478 answers this week

3,392 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,478 answers this week

3,392 attorneys answering