Skip to main content

What does order on motion to intervene mean?

Orlando, FL |

In a divorce case with children involved, is it good for one party and not the other?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. An order is a legal document signed by a judge. Once a judge signs an order, the parties that are subject to that order are bound to abide by the terms of that order. A motion to intervene typically occurs in divorce cases where a person (not a party) believes he/she has rights that need to be or should be addressed by the court in that case. Hope that helps.

  2. A motion to intervene, in a divorce for instance, is a request by someone other than the wife or the husband to come into the case because that third party says they have an interest of some sort in the case. For instance, in a situation where the State of Florida is providing public assistance to children of a couple in the form of monies (usually called AFDC) and the wife files divorce against the husband. If the husband is ordered to pay child support for the children the child support should not go to the wife (entirely) but a great part of it belongs to the State of Florida by law (to help the State recoup the monies they are paying in public assistance for the children).

    Therefore, the State usually files a "Motion to Intervene" in the divorce to make sure its rights to the child support, its amount, beginning date, etc., are protected. They become a party to the case for a specific reason. The Order on Motion to Intervene means the judge in charge of the case agreed with the request and allowed that third party to come into the divorce case to present their arguments and requests.

    Alejandro R. Lopez, Esq.
    Law Office of Alejandro R. Lopez, P.A.
    4465 Edgewater Drive,
    Suite A,
    Orlando, Fla. 32804
    Ph.: (407) 649-1404
    Fax: (407) 649-9890