What does objection to form mean?

Asked over 2 years ago - Orlando, FL

In addition, during my deposition I believe I heard my attorney say "form" many times. Does that suffice to pose an objection to form?

1. Raymond Scott Costantino

Pro

5

1

Answered . In Florida, all deposition objections are preserved with the exception of privilege and objections based upon the form of the question. To preserve an objection to the form it has to be raised at the deposition. This is why you hear an objection to form. An example of a form objection would be if an ambiguous question was asked. If the opposing party asks for the basis of the form objection then the objecting party must state the basis. This procedure keeps depositions from turning into arguments over objections. I am curious as to why you did not ask your attorney this question.

2. L. Maxwell Taylor

2

1

Answered . Sounds like that's the way the objection is preserved in Florida. Where I practice, the lawyers say either "object as to form" or simply "object," because there's a standard stipulation, called "the usual stipulation" which is referenced at the beginning of every deposition, that all objections other than those as to form are reserved for trial.

Translation: If there's a problem with the way the question is worded, if it's ambiguous, or compound, or assumes facts not in evidence ("when did you stop beating your wife?"), that calls for an objection as to form. Generally, the lawyer defending the deposition then instructs the deponent that he can answer the question if he understands it. If the lawyer is asking about stuff that is objectionable for other reasons, those objections are reserved until the time of trial under the "usual stipulation" where I practice. I suspect the same is true in many jurisdictions, but I'll let a Florida lawyer weigh in on Florida practice.

Not legal advice as I don't practice law in Florida. It's just my two cents on your question in light of general principles of legal practice and law. If you need legal advice, please consult a lawyer who holds Florida licensure. That's not me.

3. Ryan Anton Jacobsen

Pro

2

1

Answered . This is how we make objections to the formation of the question. If a question that is being asked could be understood two different ways, then the attorney should object to the form of the question - it is ambiguous or vague.

The person being deposed can still answer the questions, but the objection is preserved for a later time in case the deponent answered without fully understanding what the ambiguous question was asking.

I hope that helps answer your question.

4. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . You have an attorney. He/she knows the facts of your case. We do not. You need to ask your questions from your attorney.