What does no finance charges on a loan mean for me?

Indianapolis, IN |
Filed under: Debt

i have a car loan, and I received paperwork from finance company stating that can't charge me finance charges because that section on the loan agreement was not signed. I have had my car for 4 yrs now. I bought it for $16,995 and after 4 yrs they are still saying I owe them over $10,000. They also state that I have two more years to pay on this loan. I have had my care since 4/2007 and my payments are $409. Should this care be paid off or at least almost paid off?

Yes. Basic math says that if you've been paying $409 a month for 48 months, you've already paid over $19K for this car that supposedly had a price of $17K. You signed a loan you didn't read or understand. Read it now. Then take it to a consumer lawyer in your area.

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU COMMENT, EMAIL ME OR PHONE ME. I'm only licensed in CA. This answer doesn't make me your lawyer, and neither do follow-up comments and/or emails and/or phone calls, and you shouldn't expect me to respond to your further questions if you haven't hired me. We need an actual agreement confirmed in writing before any attorney-client relationship is formed. This answer doesn't constitute legal advice, and shouldn't be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.