What does no disposition mean in a DUI case in New York

New York, NY |

I have been in court two times for a first time dui charge and when my case is called my attorney says no disposition and I get a new court date . What is he trying to accomplish will the charges be reduced eventually or even dismissed.

Thank you the site is really helpful

1. Ask your lawyer to explain what no dispostion means. Because you are represented by counsel you can ask that question of him. Make sure you understand what the answer is so you feel comfortable with the answer.

Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

2. You should consult with your attorney and he should explain the status of the case and how he is handling your matter. It is likely he is referring to the fact that their is no offer being made or the offer is unacceptable. Maybe the prosecutor is stating that you must plead guilty to the top charge as opposed to agreeing to a lesser offense. He could be trying to get a better offer or he might be trying to have the case dismissed eventually on speedy trial grounds. Again, you should go directly to the source, i.e., you attorney. Communication with your counsel is imperative.

3. In NY this simply means that you havent reached an agreement as far as a plea deal... so the case is adjourned