What does my law firm do with these old wills from former clients besides delivering them to the court?

My law firm has wills from former clients that they want to get rid of. RCW 11.20.010 and RCW 11.12.265 says I should deliver them to the court, but is there another way of getting rid of these original wills without having to pay money to deliver them to the court?

Seattle, WA -

Thuong-Tri Nguyen

Thuong-Tri Nguyen

Family Law Attorney - Renton, WA

If you are concerned about the ethical aspect, the WA State Bar Association will provide an opinion as to what your ethical duty may be. The WSBA is at www.wsba.org .

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

Estate Planning Attorney - Livonia, MI

You could deliver them to the clients, if you can find them. This is one good reason not to hang onto original documents!

James Frederick

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Estate Planning Attorney - Largo, FL

Check with Bar to see if you can write letter and give them a deadline to pick up their documents or they will be destroyed.
In the future-have client sign a client agreement that you are not expected to keep copies after a certain number of years.

Related Advice