What does limited scope representation really mean?

Asked 9 months ago - San Diego, CA

In a family law case that is multi-faceted, what does it mean when an attorney file a substitution of attorney from full representation to limited scope? What code sections apply? My Ex is now demanding I do not deal with the attorney yet the attorney is filing motions outside of the "limited scope" that was identified in the substitution notice! How do I redress this? Who do I serve? Do I serve my ex for some issues and the attorney for others? (please do not say serve both as this entails a huge amount of wasted time and expense)

1. Wail Sarieh

Pro

8

Best Answer

Answered . Well the best practice is to serve both; if this is out of question and you have to pick one, then I would rather serve the attorney over serving your husband. You need to write a letter to the attorney demanding to detail the scope of her/his representation and act accordingly.

2. Edna Carroll Straus

7

Answered . Given that limited scope representation is very new, there are no simple answers to your questions. Unfortunately, you know the answer but just don't like it.

it is simply a fact that litigation causes any inconvenience and expense. In this case, serving both parties and counsel is probably the least amount of inconvenience and expense you will encounter.

3. Donald Frederick Conviser

7

Answered . You appear to be confused. An attorney can't file a Substitution of Attorney from full representation to limited scope. If you hired your attorney on a limited scope basis, there must be a Notice of Limited Scope Representation filed and served on the other party, and in that case, the attorney represents you only to the extent of the scope set forth in the Notice of Limited Scope Representation - you represent yourself on matters outside that scope. You should call your attorney to get clarification from him/her regarding whether he/she represents you on all matters, or only on matters set forth in a Notice of Limited Scope Representation, and get a copy of that Notice from your attorney if such a Notice was filed and served. If you are representing yourself outside of that limited scope, you should have documents served on the adverse attorney (or party if the other party isn't represented). You could serve a courtesy copy on your Limited Scope attorney, but that is not required.

4. Robert Andrew Michael Burns

5

Answered . Read the limited scope agreement. You can deal directly with your ex's attorney as to any issue that the attorney represents your ex. I advise you to meet with the Family Law Facilitator to get free assistance in self-representation from someone who can see directly (not through your filtering) what your ex's attorney is doing.