What does libel/slander means? As for in a child support case and What does resistance means too

Radcliff, KY |

A Friend of mine is being charged that and also contempt of court as well, I don"t understand the terms as well how long will that consist of him staying in jail for the said charges.

Based on what you've typed here, it sounds like your friend has been accused of "contempt of court" and maybe a warrant for contempt of court as well. I would very, very strongly encourage your friend to hire a lawyer immediately.

I am not your attorney, nor are you my client. This answer to your question is not to be considered legal advice. In all cases, I encourage you to contact a competent, licensed attorney, who will be able to consult with you, investigate the facts of your situation more thoroughly, and give you a better tailored answer. (Also, I frequently type answers on my mobile phone, so please excuse typos and autocorrect errors.)

He is in jail and the court date is set for may 9. For contempt of court but what does libel/slander have to do with it. This is the first time he been in court over this child support and the child is over 21 yrs of age.

Christopher S. Compton

Christopher S. Compton

The contempt might not have anything to do with libel or slander. The jail's computer software might say libel/slander just because that's the way the software was written. BUT, this is why we're telling your friend to get a lawyer. The lawyer will be able to get into the system a little better and discover for himself or herself whether libel or slander is involved.

More information is needed. Your friend needs a "criminal lawyer". You can find one for your friend by searching Avvo's "find a lawyer" tool.

Harry Edward Hudson Jr

Harry Edward Hudson Jr

As well as a family law attorney.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Recommended articles about Personal injury