What does legally eligible to drive mean?

Grass Valley, CA |

I recieved a letter from local superior court in CA. Stating that early last year my son was determined to be habitually truant. (He suffers from chronic depression) Almost a year later they sent a notice saying that his license will be delayed for one year subsequent to the time he becomes legally eligible to drive. He's 17 now and does not have his drivers license by choice. What does that ruling mean?

If he has completed all requirements to get a license and the DMV would issue him one if he went down to the DMV and showed proof of completion of all the required classes then his suspension starts then. If he doesn't have any of that complete or he hasn't informed the DMV of this then the suspension will not start till he is 18.

Then would it be a good idea for me to dispute this ruling based on his well documented health issues?

Legally eligible, in short, means that there are no reason why he couldn't go down to the DMV and get a license immediately. If there is something legally stopping this, then he wouldn't be legally eligible. If you or your son has questions of when exactly he can get his license, and what he may need to do in order to get it, I would recommend contacting the DMV directly. They should be able to pull his record and advise accordingly.

Legal disclaimer: This message does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This message does not establish an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established once a retainer agreement has been fully executed between you and this firm.