What does judgement on citation mean?

Oak Park, IL |

I have a judgement against me

There is no judgment on citation. A judgment was entered against you pursuant to either a trial or a default. The citation is conducted to learn of your assets.

If you have a judgment against you, the creditor may file a citation proceeding against someone or some entity that it believes may have assets belonging to you or which may owe money to you (such as your bank or your employer). If that person or entity files an answer stating that it does have assets belonging to you or money owed to you, the court may enter a judgment on that citation ordering that person or entity to turn over your assets to the judgment creditor to satisfy your judgment.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney to discuss the particulars of your case.

My colleagues have offered quality advice. At this point, you may want to consult with a local attorney for fact specific direction.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Law Offices of Eric J. Gold Telephone: 818-279-2737 Email: service@egoldlaw.con

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt