What does Judgement Entered mean when posted on the Land Court website?

Plainville, MA |
Filed under: Property foreclosure

We had our house foreclosed on on 6/11/2012 & have seen where there has been activity on the Land Court website for the state of Massachusetts.

1. It means that a judgment (in whatever type of case it was) has been entered by the court. Without further information there's no way to answer more.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.

2. The date "judgment entered" date has a practical application in many cases in Massachusetts. First of all, it is an administrative act taken by the clerk's office of the court you are in. Practically speaking, the date "judgments enters" is usually the day the calculation of your appeal period begins. Although not entirely on point with your question, here is an example. In the eviction context, most eviction trials occur on Thurdays. If the Landlord goes to trial and wins his case on Thursday, judgment for the Landlord does not "enter" until the next day, Friday. It is from that Friday that the tenant's 10 day appeal period begins to run. (Sometimes, duly to a delay in he Clerk's office, the judgment may not enter for several days, in which case, the appeal period is prolonged.) On the other hand, if the parties enter into an Agreement for Judgment (rather than going to trial), whatever day the Agreement is filed with the Court will be the "Judgment Entered" date. My point is that "judgment entered" probably wont' be the same day you lost at trial; the judgment entered date may be different in the context of your case, but pay attention to the specific date, because it will be of practical importance.

This response contains general information about the question posted and does not contain any specific legal advice. The information is not intended to, nor does it, establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and the attorney providing the answer. The questioner should retain legal counsel for specific adivice regarding his or her specific legal needs.