What does it mean when your case disposition says not disposed?

Asked over 5 years ago - Kansas City, MO

Checked on a case from 3 years ago and it says in the disposition area not disposed.

1. John G. Gromowsky

Answered . I agree with my colleague's assessment. However, I write separately in the event you are looking at Missouri's Case.Net to obtain your information. It is not unusual for there to be data entry errors on Case.Net. Look in the docket entries tab or the charges, judgments, and sentences tab to see more detailed info. If your question is still not answered, you (or your attorney) may need to make a trip to the courthouse to get this straightened out.

DISCLAIMER: I am not your attorney. My response to your question does not create, nor is it intended to create, an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is formed with John G. Gromowsky and/or The Gromowsky Law Firm, LLC only after (1) entering into a written legal services agreement and (2) paying the retainer or legal fees required by the legal services agreement. My response to your question is for informational and/or educational purposes only. By responding to your question, I am not giving legal advice. I am only licensed to practice law in Missouri and Kansas. The laws in your state may be different than in Missouri and Kansas. You should consult an attorney licensed to practice in your state if you are in need of legal advice.

2. Howard Woodley Bailey

Pro

Answered . Your facts do not indicate whether you believed that the case was disposed of.

If you thought it was, contact the Criminal Case Management of the Court where the disposition occurred and get a copy of the Disposition sheet showing how the case was disposed of. Under this circumstance, this is just a failure to complete data entry and easily fixable by you doing these steps.

If you did not believe that the case was disposed of, this simply means that the matter is still pending disposition. If this is the circumstance, contact your lawyer to discuss what steps need to be taken to resolve this matter. Good luck.

Disclaimer: The above answer does not constitute legal advice, attorney advertising, or establish an attorney-client privilege; and, is offered for the limited purpose of educating the requester as to the potential legal issues they need to discuss with a lawyer in their State. I strongly recommend you discuss this situation with an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice law in your State before you make any decisions as to how to proceed. Do not presume that any legal analysis that may apply in NJ where I practice would apply in your State or under the facts and circumstances of your case, unless an attorney admitted in your State advises you that it applies to you and your case.