What does it mean when you receive a mandatory court date, and not a regular ticket?

Asked about 5 years ago - Milwaukee, WI

I have a WI DL, and received a speeding ticket (in a construction zone) in IL. Instead of a ticket with the fine amount, I have a mandatory court date. Why would this be, and how will it affect my WI driving record?

1. Karyn T. Missimer

Answered . I agree with the first answer: There is probably a way for you to make an appearance that does not require you to go personally. It is very likely an attorney may appear on your behalf, but because your case is in IL, you need an IL attorney. I can refer you to Attorney Alan Kurash:

4100 Madison Street # 8
    Hillside Illinois [ IL ] 60162
    Phone: (708)547-1234

If you are convicted of speeding in IL and Wisconsin learns about it (which is not an absolute certainty), Wisconsin will treat the speeding conviction as if the offense occurred in Wisconsin. So, the DOT will assess points according to how fast you were going: A list of the points associated with speeding violations can be found at : http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/drivers/po.... Wisconsin will not, however, make you pay a fine.

You may be able to get the speeding charged reduced or amended to something else more favorable to you, especially if you hire an IL attorney to represent you.

Good luck!

2. Joshua G. Schiffer

Pro

Answered . It means that due to one of several possible factors, (i.e. prior record, out of state residency, alleged speed involved, age of driver, etc) you need to appear before the court or, at a minimum, have a legal representative (your lawyer, not your spouse) appear on your behalf to answer the accusation. Ask a local attorney to look into a plea in abestia or other disposition where you do not have to appear to save travel money.