What does it mean when the DA files charges as a warrant but with no case, hearing or attorney being assigned?

Asked 8 months ago - Palm Desert, CA

Details:
Complaint filed by police department
jurisdiction set
fingerprints required
complaint filed
hearing set is vacated
declaration in support of arrest warrant filed
warrant sent
arrest warrant vacated

do I need to do anything regarding this case?
is vacated equivalent to dismissed or do i need to initiate an arraignment?

1. Nicholas J. Moore

4

1

Answered . In general, yes vacated is equivalent to dismissed... however, I'd caution an attorney from advising you that you do not need to do anything; you should contact an attorney for a consult and lay out the full facts of your case. Chances are you might still need an attorney.

2. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

3

1

Answered . Your details, although a good start, are incomplete. (Or I may just be reading what you posted incorrectly)

If a case is filed, but the arrest warrant was recalled or not issued for some reason, the case could still be active. When the "complaint filed" - that starts the criminal process and there's a case pending. There could be more to this story and the entire case may have been dismissed, but I can't say that with certainty based on what you wrote.

It's worth a conversation with a criminal defense attorney in the city/county where this case is. They can look a little deeper into this and get you an answer one way or another.

3. Jeffrey George Moore

3

Answered . You should call an attorney to discuss this. That way they can look at what you're looking at and advise appropriately.