What does it mean when someone detained by ICE has been denied bail?

Asked about 1 year ago - Houston, TX

My boy friend has been detained by ICE over a month now, he has been to trial twice both time represented by a lawyer, who was not successful in obtaining his release, we have ran out of financial resources to continue with the lawyer, what can we do to find a lawyer who will work pro-bono, we need help he has two young children a 14 month old and 6 year old who is suffering of ADD and needs his father around.

1. Anthony Joshua Colton

8

Answered . If you go to this website (http://www.justice.gov/eoir/probono/freelglchtT...) you can find a list of pro bono organizations in your area. You can also visit the immigration court at 600 Jefferson Street, Suite 900, Houston, Texas 77002-7335, to get a listing. The Court’s number is 713-718-3870. You should ask your attorney why your boyfriend was denied a bond. There are certain circumstances when a detainee is not eligible for bond.

2. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

8

Answered . There are organizations that will represent immigrants pro bono. The court should have a list as well as your local USCIS office.

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

7

Answered . The Immigration Court can provide a list of pro bono attorneys but it will be up to you to find and contract with one.

4. Lena Korial-Yonan

5

Answered . Are you a U.S. citizen? Did the two of you plan on getting married? I am asking because you state that you have kids together. If you have discussed marriage and want to marry for reasons other than immigration, try to contact the detention facility or as a last resort his deportation officer to see if you can go marry him while he is being detained. Once you get married, you can file a petition on his behalf. With that case pending, he then becomes eligible for bond. Your next lawyer should do a Motion for Bond hearing. God bless.

Lena Korial-Yonan, Esq.
    http://www.needimmigrationhelp.com

5. Jonathan Edward Shaw

3

1

Answered . The Immigration Court has a list of pro-bono organizations. Try that. If it doesn't work (you can understand that many of these places are absolutely overwhelmed) then I would ask around for an experienced attorney who does payment plans. Many do not, but there are some that will work with you on a monthly basis.

6. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.