What does it mean when my landlord serves me with a CCP 1161.2?

Lompoc, CA |

I recieved A Notice of Unlawful Detainer-CCP 1116.2 but I am not in default of payiing rent nor have I damaged the property, My lease ended in November and we verbaly agreed on signing another year lease but he has neglected to contact me so we can.

This code section simply pertains to the limited public access to the case at this time so you are not back listed from renting another place or dinged on your credit until or unless the case goes to judgement then after 69 days it's public record.

You want to know why you were evicted I suspect, you must read the entire complaint or better yet bring it to a lawyer tomorrow. You have only a few days to file an answer now.

The answers on this discussion board are general in nature and NOT intended as legal advice. Responding to questions does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Always see a lawyer about your individual situation.

This means that an unlawful detainer lawsuit has been filed against you.

If you have not been served with the summons and complaint, you should go to the courthouse to obtain a copy so that you can file a response.

The opinion provided is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.

You have been served with a UD lawsuit and have five days to respond. This notice is to inform you that restricted access is in place for 60 days after this case is filed.

Oh man, these are NOT good answers from these lawyers. I see NOTHING to indicate you have been served with the lawsuit, which is strictly required before there may be a judgement against you. A copy of a Summons and Complaint must be handed to you or someone in your home, or posted on your door and mailed to you (with a court order to do it that way). IF that is done, you have five calendar days to respond. The notice is, in fact, to inform you that there is restricted access to your file but the code section governing that notice itself states the purpose is not a substitute notice for actual service of a summons and complaint. If you get such a notice but have not been served, you likely will be served. You should call your landlord NOW and ask whether he intends to serve you properly and, if not, why. The five days starts from the time you are handed the complaint, or fifteen days if you are served via a substituted method like posting and mailing due to the extension given for the mail portion of the service. You should talk to a lawyer, but apprise them of the exact facts of your case. Lawyers talk in generalizations they think may apply to your case and sometimes that can do more harm than good if not accurate. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, but I am telling you what the law is for no compensation and I have a First Amendment Right to do that. If you take that as "legal advice" so be it.

Recommended articles about Real estate