What does it mean when my case files have been transferred to the large loss department?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

My claim with the Hartford insurance department was transferred to the large loss department after working with a claim adjustor department for over a month. I hired a contractor who did not finish the job, caused structural issues, did not get permits that he said he would get via the contract, and the work he did complete, is a hazard. I have been told by the insurance company that the breach in contract may not be covered, is this true. What does contractors liability insurance cover?

1. Judy A. Goldstein

4

Answered . This probably has to do with the amount of money at issue but you should ask the carrier since this is their business term, not a legal term. You can also ask the carrier what is covered. It sounds like you might need private counsel to get the best settlement.

2. David J. McCormick

2

Answered . Since most adjusters have limited authority, it usually has to do with the dollar amount of your claim.

3. Stuart Lewis Peacock

2

Answered . Other attorney's satisfactorily answered your question about transfer of the claim file to the large loss department. Your question regarding scope of coverage under the contractor's liability policy is complex enough to warrant review by your lawyer.
    A contractor's liability policy grants coverage for certain types of personal injury or property damage, and excludes coverage for certain claims depending on the language of the policy and how the language is interpreted under applicable state law. Speaking generally, a contractor's liability policy protects against the contractor's liability to third parties for bodily injuries or property damages arising out of the contractor's operations. It is not a warranty for the quality of contractor's work. I like using this example: A contractor negligently applies stucco on a building. If the stucco falls off and hurts someone or falls onto a car, there will be coverage for the claim. If the stucco simply has to be replaced because the work was shoddy, that is usually not covered. If the application of the stucco harmed the building so that other parts of the building have to be repaired or the building lost value, then there are bona fide issues in most states as to what is covered and what is not covered. I would recommend that you consult with a lawyer who specializes in insurance law. Since you mentioned that the work caused structural issues, your claim may be one that involves some very tricky exclusions to coverage for the contractor's work. I'm not licensed in Illinois, but know many capable lawyers who are.

4. Daniel G. Galivan

Answered . The contractor's liability insurance covers damages caused by the contractor's negligence. No insurance policy covers breach of contract cliams. Hartford is trying to justify denying your claim by calling it a breach of contract. I would suggest you consult an attorney with insurance litigation experience. Most of us provide free consultations. www.galivanlaw.net

5. George Costas Andriotis

1

Answered . This is related to the value of your claim.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

Pro

1

Answered . Shuffling the claim from department to department is a typical delay tactic. Retain a local insurance attorney to resolve, so this doesn't go on forever.