What does it mean when it says i have a bench warrant but its in active? Am i wanted or not?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Philadelphia, PA

It says that its inactive and im confused bout to turn myself in or not

1. Brad Victor Shuttleworth

Answered . What says what is inactive, that is the question, because it depends what source you are looking at for your information. It may mean the case is "inactive" because there is an "active" bench warrant for your arrest. Give me a call, and we can try to look it up quickly for you. 215.665.1695. Ask for Mr. Shuttleworth.

2. Howard Woodley Bailey

Pro

Answered . Assuming that PA law is similar to the law in NJ, the terms active and inactive simply denote whether the warrant squad is actively looking for you. Once a bench warrant is issued by the Court, the only entity that can vacate it is the Court. If you were my client here in NJ, there are a number of issues that I would want to discuss with you to see if there was a benefit from you turning yourself in and getting this warrant lifted. Among them would be whether the case is so old that the State might consider dismissing the charges; what the impact of the warrant is on your driving privileges; and, whether the warrant can be lifted without you being incarcerated. I urge you to discuss these and other issues that can impact the disposition of the underlying charges with an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice law in PA as soon as possible, as a warrant is still a warrant even if it is inactive, and you can be arrested if you are record checked and the warrant is discovered by the cop. Good luck.

DISCLAIMER
    This answer is provided solely for informational purposes, for you to use as a starting point when speaking directly with a lawyer in your State. I do not practice law in your State, and this answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. I urge you to immediately contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice law in your State before you make any decisions about this case.

3. Carlos Gonzalez

Pro

Answered . i would suggest consulting with a local attorney, generally it is best to haveone with you if youre going ot turn yourself in. take a look at my guide on bench & arrest warrants.