Skip to main content

What does it mean when attorneys assistant says they are releasing me because I was involved in another accident?

Grapevine, TX |

2 mos ago hit by 18 wheeler, got a lawyer, went to treatment, then recently injured as a passenger, reported to attorney within 2 days of accident. The assistant said they are releasing me on 1st case, but if I wanted them to represent me in second accident they would? Does this mean I've lost any monetary reimbursement for all I've been thru on the 1st case? I asked them for clarity, they haven't responded in 5 days, are they just washing their hands of me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


Best bet is to get a new lawyer who can handle both and separate the injuries from each. Problem solved.


Sounds like they are dropping you as a client. Find someone else who hopefully can handle both cases.

L. Vincent Ramunno

L. Vincent Ramunno


good point,as usual


It means you need a new lawyer willing and able to handle both cases. While not common, this situation does happen from time to time. A capable lawyer will use the medical evidence to distinguish your injuries related to each accident.


It appears the attorney is releasing you from your retainer agreement relating to the first wreck. I suggest you consult with an attorney who is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Good luck.

By providing this legal analysis of the issue presented, no attorney/client relationship is being formed. Additionally, attorney is not agreeing to represent the individual who presented the question concerning the legal issue. A signed retainer agreement is required before an attorney /client relationship is established. The analysis provided is meant solely to provide general guidance about the legal issue presented.


This is simply lazy lawyering. In order to take on both cases you will have to distinguish the injuries which can be done. Unfortunately, it sounds like your lawyer is only interested in the easy case. Further, in these types of cases you can't handle them separately, which means you need to rethink your selection of lawyers. Any questions please do not hesitate to ask or leave a comment.

Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. Mr. Crockett is licensed in Texas and Illinois only.


It means you are lucky. You ate getting rid of a lazy unimaginative lawyer and have an opportunity to get a good one. I suggest you find a lawyer board certified in personal injury trial law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. It is a state bar agency that lawyers can't just buy their way into.

This is not legal advice. You should always discuss the specifics of your issue in person with an attorney. Be aware that there are time limits on all claims that depend on the kind of claim, so do not delay in seeking an attorney.


You should hire a new lawyer who isn't afraid to take on a case with some complications. I'd recommend a Texas lawyer who is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law.

-Brian Beckcom


May be time to think about hiring a new lawyer.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer