What does it mean when an "amended information petition is filed on counts"?

Naples, FL |

I was looking at my boyfriends court records on the county's public records search site & it is now 3 days before his case is set to go to trial & I saw a continuance was filed, and then it said "amended information petition is filed on counts", and the counts are listed ...robbery with weapon & obstruct officer w/out violence. What does that mean, is this an attempt to delay the case, or was this done by his attorney?

The State Attorney's Office is the agency that makes the decision about what charges to file. The "information" is simply the formal document that lists the charges that are being filed, along with the corresponding statute numbers.

Sometimes, when a case is getting close to trial, the State Attorney will file an amended information. This is usually done to add additional charges against the accused. Sometimes this is done as a way of creating leverage against the accused.
An example of this would be a scenario where the defendant is charged with a less serious crime and the prosecutor offers to let the defendant plead guilty to that charge. The State Attorney retains the leverage to add the more serious allegations to the information if the plea offer is rejected.

I would advise your boyfriend to contact his attorney immediately to find out what additional charges may have been filed. Sometimes, that can dramatically increase his potential prison time exposure.

It means that the charges were amended - changed in some manner, and he was entitled to more notice of the changes in order to prepare before trial. This was done by the prosecuting attorney. It is probably not meant to dealy the case, but an attempt to make the charges more precise so that a jury can have a better understanding, and maybe in response to a defense motion for more information with regard to a charge.