What does it mean when a person dies intestate

Modesto, CA |

the person who dies does have a will and trust

1. That is what means. Intestate = dies without a will.

The above information does not establish an attorney client relationship nor is it meant to provide legal advice.

2. Your situation does not involve intestacy, because there is a Will. Intestate laws provide for distribution of the decedent's probate estate, when there is no Will. The next of kin, or the "heirs" are those persons named in the intestate laws. When there is a Will, there is no intestacy. When there is a Trust, there is generally not a need for probate, or a Will.

James Frederick

I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state.

3. It just means the person died without a will (which is apparently not your situation).

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.

Wills and estates topics